Moving time can be extremely exciting and cause a little nausea. All the preparations that need to be made, all the different things that need to be done. Just thinking about moving can be exhausting. That’s why we’ve put together a few moving tips to help ease your mind and make the process go smoothly.
Still working on getting everything done? Check out the information we’ve put together on Choosing a Moving Company if this is a step you have yet to complete. We’ve included lots of information regarding this process. From how to interview companies to how to possibly save some money.
- Use a Moving Checklist. We have created a Moving Checklist to assist you with your move. Starting at 8 weeks out, if you have that much time, this checklist can help you stay organized.
- Get rid of things. Seriously. If you haven’t used something in months and you know you won’t need it going forward, donate it, sell it, or trash it. Some things simply aren’t worth moving.
- Do you have lots of decorative items? Pack them early. Those sequined pillows and pretty pictures hanging on the walls don’t need to be on display.
- Label boxes with detail. Knowing exactly what’s in a box and what room in the new house it’s headed to will really help when it’s time to unpack.
- Stop going on full blown grocery trips a week or so before your move. That freezer still has good food in it, eat it up and save your grocery money for the first big trip in your new home.
- Change Address Online. Use the USPS Change of Address online service to get this done quickly and efficiently.
- Keep Tax Deductions in Mind. Some moving expenses are tax-deductible. Keep this in mind and make sure you save all receipts. Check the IRS Moving Expenses page for more information.